These easy spider cupcakes are a must this Halloween, and such a fun way to get the kids in the kitchen
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
FOR THE SPIDERS
- 1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles
- 24 candy eyeballs
- Black string licorice, cut into 2-inch strips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in egg, one at a time, until well combined. Beat in vanilla just until incorporated. With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients and milk alternately in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, beating just until incorporated.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray. Place into oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- To make the glaze, combine confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder and milk. Whisk until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, add more milk as needed.
- Use a small offset spatula to frost cupcakes and dip in chocolate sprinkles.
- Place 2 candy eyeballs on each cupcake.
- Use a metal or wooden skewer to poke 3 holes on opposite sides of each cupcake; insert licorice into each hole.